Sunday, March 13, 2011

Precious Time

Daylight savings time started today. Spring forward, fall back. I don't really have anything against the idea of daylight savings time, although I'm not overly fond of the reality of it. It completely throws off my sleep for a couple weeks each spring after it goes into effect.


Today it made me think about time, in general, and how precious it is. We all say that, and yet, most of us are pretty quick to waste it... lots of it....myself included.

I was also thinking about it in the context of the earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan and how a mere matter of seconds was enough to save many lives. I can't imagine what it must be like to know that you may have literally minutes (or less) to run for higher ground as a killer wave roars onto shore wreaking death and destruction in its path without any regard for economic status, age, intelligence or other things we seem to care so much about. It made my heart ache to watch the images on TV this evening. It seems so surreal, kind of like time, itself.

1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

Interesting thoughts, Anita. Time is a strange thing, isn't it?

Funny, but time and the passage of it has been on my mind lately, too. Not in quite the same context, but definitely on the same page.

=)